Virtual Inspection Program
Our virtual inspection program is available for occupied residential homes once plans have been filed and approved electronically. Qualifying projects may not be listed on this page. To find out if your project is eligible for virtual inspection, call us at 214.509.4130.
|Eligible project for virtual inspection|
|Electrical service upgrades|
|Small water/sewer line installations|
|HVAC change out|
|Follow up or re-inspections (must verify eligibility with inspector)|
Virtual inspections in three easy steps
- Step 1: At the time of your scheduled inspection, you'll receive an invitation via text message to join on your mobile device
- Step 2: Join the video call using a link provided by the City inspector. No app download needed!
- Step 3: The inspector will guide you through the inspection process via video. Each session is recorded for quality assurance.
- How do I schedule a virtual inspection?
To schedule your virtual inspection, simply follow this link: https://inspections.oncamino.com/allen-tx and follow the instructions. If you are having issues, please call 214.509.4130 or 4132 by 3 p.m. at the latest, the day prior to your desired inspection date. The City inspector will contact you to schedule an appoint time. The inspector will initiate the video call on your scheduled date and time using the phone number provided. The inspector will walk you through the inspection. Most virtual inspections take around 10 minutes or less.
Note: Virtual inspections are available only for plans that have been filed and approved electronically. Your results will be available by email the same day as the inspection.
- How should I prepare for my virtual inspection?
Make sure your smartphone/tablet is fully charged. Please be ready to accept a video call at the scheduled time and be prepared to respond to requests from the City inspector. Have the required tools ready (e.g. tape measure, level, GFCI tester, step ladder.).
Please turn off phone/tablet notifications during the inspection. Notifications freeze the video call which could cause delays or require the inspection to be rescheduled.
- Do I need to download an app like Skype or Zoom, or have FaceTime installed for my virtual inspection?
It is not necessary to download an app for your virtual inspection. A link to start the inspection is delivered to you via text message. You will simply need to confirm that it is okay to access the camera and microphone.
- When will I know if my inspection is approved?
During the video call, the City inspector will inform you if the inspection passed and will note any deficient items. You also can request a written copy of the report and approval (sent to you via email).
- What if my inspection fails?
If multiple items are noted, the inspector will notify you that the inspection failed and a re-inspection is required. If a re-inspection fee is required, you must pay online prior to scheduling re-inspection. Failed inspections must be rescheduled by the applicant.