2021 Winter Storm Resources

Historic ice, snow and freezing temperatures experienced in Allen in February 2021 caused extended power outages, loss of heat and broken pipes. As Allen residents and businesses continue to recover, we hope these resources make the process easier.


Financial assistance

FEMA Individual Assistance Programs

A federal disaster declaration has been declared for Texas related to the winter storm that began on Feb. 11, 2021. This declaration makes federal assistance available to Collin County residents, including temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and more.

Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Programs

The federal disaster declaration for this storm also makes assistance available to Tarrant County businesses. Applications for physical damage must be filed by April 20, 2021 and those for economic injury must be filed by Nov. 20, 2021.

SNAP benefit replacement

SNAP customers can request a benefit replacement for food lost or destroyed due to the winter storm in February 2021 by calling 2-1-1 or sending in Form H1855. If benefits were put on your card automatically, but the amount was not your whole benefit amount, you can request more.  You do not need to go to an HHSC local office. You have until March 31 to request a benefit replacement. Details.

Disasters and Texas taxes

When the governor of Texas or the president of the United States declares a location in Texas to be a disaster area, taxpayers in the affected area are eligible for certain tax exemptions and filing extensions for their taxes, including: extensions for filing taxes, exemptions for repairing your home or business and exemptions for helping affected people. View details on the Texas Comptroller website.

Utility resources and assistance

Water bill adjustments for repaired leaks

Customers may request a water bill adjustment for sudden leaks and other unexpected water losses, such as those due to frozen pipes or plumbing fixtures. If approved, this adjustment will reduce the rate charged for unexpected water loss but does not eliminate the charges entirely.

For the City to consider an adjustment:

  1. Water consumption during the leak period must be significantly above the typical historical water use for the account in question.
  2. Repairs must already be completed by a State Licensed Irrigator or plumber.
  3. Customers must formally request the adjustment by completing this form and submitting it in an email to coautilities@cityofallen.org or by mail to Utility Billing, Allen City Hall, 305 Century Parkway, Allen, TX 75013. This request should include:
  • The address of the leak.
  • The approximate date and time that the leak occurred.
  • A detailed copy of a repair bill on official letterhead from a State Licensed irrigator or plumber. The bill must include a clear explanation of the situation and what was repaired.
  • Photos of the leak and/or repairs (optional).

The City will make approved account adjustments as credits to the customer’s City utility account.

Utility provider resources

Repairs and construction

Residential construction/demolition debris

Construction and demolition materials must be transported to the 121 Regional Disposal Facility and will incur a disposal fee to be paid by the resident. Accepted items include: sheet rock, insulation, molding, carpet, carpet pads and wood flooring materials.

  • DIY disposal fees for construction and demolition debris are no longer being waived at the Custer Road Transfer Station.
  • As a reminder, residents may not dispose of construction/demolition materials in their weekly trash or monthly bulk collection.

Contractors and permits

Permits are not required for emergency pipe repairs, but should be used for other types of construction/demolition projects. Before work begins, ensure your plumbing contractor is a State of Texas Licensed Plumber by visiting the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners; this is a requirement for any individual performing any kind of plumbing work in the State of Texas. Contractors from out of state must have a provisional license, issued by the State of Texas, which allows them to perform work here.

Storm Damage Survey

If you suffered damages to your home or business during the recent winter weather, submit a Self Reporting Damage Survey to help provide information to FEMA and support efforts to obtain federal aid. If assistance is authorized, property owners may directly receive aid from FEMA based on the level of damages and qualifications. Reporting damage to the Texas Division of Emergency Management is a voluntary activity and does not substitute for reporting damage to an insurance agency. It does not guarantee disaster relief assistance.

Home Repair Assistance programs

Allen manages three repair assistance programs to help keep homeowners in safe and stable housing. Applicants must meet program requirements set by set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Details.

Get urgent notifications via phone call, text and more

Sign up for Hyper-Reach, Allen's emergency notification system, to get rapid alerts about urgent situations with a telephone call, text and/or email messages, web browser alerts, smart speaker alerts and other advanced alerting methods. Details.