According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States. Almost half (44%) of reported home fires started in the kitchen. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
Allen Fire Department is teaming up with NFPA to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” AFD encourages you to remember these safety tips to prevent cooking fires. Learn more about cooking safety at firepreventionweek.org.
Stop, Drop & Rock 'n Roll!
Play safety games with Sparky the Fire Dog! Sparky.org
Sparky's Cooking Safety Tips
STAY focused on the food.
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen. Use a timer to remind you that you're cooking, or carry around a wooden spoon as a reminder.
PUT a lid on it.
Always keep a lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it's cool.
PLUG into electrical safety.
Unplug small appliance when not in use. If an appliance feels too hot, smokes or gives off a strange odor, unplug it immediately and have it serviced or replaced.
KEEP cooking areas clear.
Clear away clutter and give cooking appliances space to lessen the chance of a kitchen fire. Have a kid-free zone of at least THREE FEET around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
More of Sparky's Cooking Safety Tips
PREVENT scalds and burns.
Turn pot handles away from the stove's edge. Keep hot foods and liquids away from table and counter edges.
SOUND the alarm.
Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the basement. If your alarms does not have lifelong batteries, remember to replace batteries at least once a year.
When in doubt, JUST GET OUT!
If you have any doubts about stopping a small kitchen fire, just get out. Close the doors behind you as you and others in the home leave to help contain the fire. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number from outside the home.
Go to Sparky.org for safety games, videos and other activities!